Makati City Hall, other buildings declared safe
Makati Mayor Abby Binay on Wednesday said 95 buildings in the city were declared safe for occupancy after thorough inspection by engineers and building officials in the wake Monday’s magnitude 6.1 earthquake.
These buildings included all public elementary and secondary schools in the city, University of Makati, Ospital ng Makati, three City Hall buildings, and 46 private buildings.
Binay said a total of 113 buildings, consisting of 67 public facilities and 46 private buildings had been inspected to date. Of these, 18 health centers required further evaluations by city engineers, apart from the covered court in Barangay Sta. Cruz, which was found with some visible cracks.
The mayor said there were no reports of casualties and injured persons from the Makati Commercial Estate Association, the Makati Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office, and the different barangays.
Last Tuesday, the mayor ordered the Office of the Building Official and the Department of Engineering and Public Works to take the lead in conducting inspections on private buildings and public facilities in the city.
About 18 inspection teams were formed and mobilized on Tuesday.
Binay called on building administrators to coordinate with the Office of the Building Official to schedule inspections of their buildings, which could be done jointly with their own team of experts.
Also on Tuesday, the mayor held a command conference with key officials from the Makati DRRMO to discuss measures being taken to assess the impact of the earthquake.
At the meeting, personnel from the Makati DRRMO presented progress reports on the ongoing inspections being conducted on private buildings and government facilities by the inspection teams.
To facilitate coordination with private companies in times of disaster, Binay stressed the need for a point person or a single source of information in each of some 2,020 private buildings in the city, who will be tasked to promptly report on the condition of their respective buildings to the Makati command center (C3).
She also urged barangay leaders to be proactive and take the initiative in updating the DRRMO through C3 on the situation in their communities, rather than wait for the latter to ask them for a status report.
The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) is investigating “Oplan X-Men,” the Makati police’s alleged profiling of transgender women, to save them from “exploitation and human trafficking.” CHR spokesperson Jacqueline de Gui...