Makati hotel suspended over quarantine breach
The Department of Tourism (DOT) has suspended the accreditation of a Makati hotel and revoked its permit as a multiple-use hotel for its failure to stop a guest from breaking quarantine rules, according to a report by Philippine News Agency.
Berjaya Makati Hotel was also fined equivalent to twice the rack rate of its most expensive room, the DOT said in a news release on Wednesday.
The DOT's Tourism Regulation, Coordination and Resource Generation approved the penalties recommended by the DOT - National Capital Region.
The case stemmed from the actions of returning Filipino Gwyneth Chua, identified on social media as “Poblacion Girl” because she was seen in Poblacion, Makati City when she was supposed to be in the hotel undergoing quarantine.
Berjaya, in their reply dated January 1, admitted that CCTV footage showed Chua leaving the hotel at 11:45 p.m., or 15 minutes after checking in upon her arrival on December 22.
Neither the hotel security personnel nor the front lobby called her attention, and neither was there any effort to report the incident to the Bureau of Quarantine (BOQ), even after her return three days later.
She was later seen in social media posts at a bar in Poblacion.
Chua, who was booked for a mandatory five-day quarantine at the hotel until December 27, later returned on the night of December 25. She underwent a swab test on December 26. Her result came out positive the next day.
A copy of the decision was served to Berjaya Hotel, which has 15 working days to appeal it.
The department's decision has been given to the Department of Health (DOH), BOQ, One-Stop Shop Management of Returning Overseas Filipinos of the Department of Transportation - Office of Transportation Security (DOTr- OTS), Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG), Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA), Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), and Makati local government unit (LGU).
In their letter dated December 28, Berjaya even gave the assurance that quarantined guests "follow strict protocols."
However, Berjaya later apologized in news reports and social media for their failure to report the "quarantine skipping incident" to the BOQ.
The statements and public apology made by the hotel management were “an admission of not just the facts of the incident but as well as their lapses in their responsibility as an accredited establishment of the Department of Tourism,” the decision read.
The National Task Force Against Covid-19 on Sunday said it can replace vaccines damaged during the onslaught of Typhoon Odette last month, according to a report by Philippine News Agency. NTF Against Covid-19 head of strategic communications, A...
Star City postponed its reopening scheduled on January 14 as COVID-19 cases in the Philippines continue to rise, according to a report by GMA News. According to an announcement posted Monday on their official Facebook page, the amusement park w...
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Monday said the operations of its Office of Consular Affairs (OCA), Consular Offices (COs) and Temporary Off-Site Passport Services (TOPS) sites will be temporarily suspended due to the rise of COVID-19 case...
Businesses selling unregistered self-test antigen test kits for Covid-19 may be held liable and penalized, the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) said in a report by Philippine News Agency. This, according to DTI Assistant Secretary and Con...
The Makati city government announced that its active coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases surpassed the 1,000-mark with 1, 044 cases on Jan. 13, up from 998 cases on the previous day, according to a report by Manila Bulletin. The city joined other c...
Lotto draw operations will be suspended from Monday until Wednesday due to the continuous spike in coronavirus infections in the country, according to a report by Philippine News Agency. “Dahil sa patuloy na pagtaas ng talaan ng Covi...